MARINE MONITORING, ASSESSMENT, AND PREDICTION (MARMAP) PROGRAM AND
LARGE MARINE ECOSYSTEMS
Selected List of 28 Pertinent Published Papers and Reports that Chronicle the Evolution of MARMAP and the Large Marine Ecosystems Modular Approach to Monitoring, Assessing and Managing LME Goods and Services 1980-2014
1. Sherman, K. (1980). MARMAP, a fisheries ecosystem study in the NW Atlantic: Fluctuations in ichthyoplankton-zooplankton components and their potential impact on the system. Pages 9 - 37 in Advanced concepts in ocean measurements for marine biology. F. P. Diemer, F.J. Vernberg and D.Z. Mirkes, editors., Belle W. Baruch Institute for Marine Biology and Coastal Research. University of S.C. Press: 572p.
2. Sherman, K., R. Maurer, et al. (1981). "Relationship between larval fish communities and zooplankton prey species in an offshore spawning ground." Rapports et Proces-verbaux des Réunions, Conseil International pour L'Exploration de la Mer 178: 289-294.
3. Sherman, K., C. Jones, et al. (1981). "Congruent shifts in sand eel abundance in western and eastern North Atlantic ecosystems." Nature 291: 486-489.
4. Sherman, K., J. R. Green, et al. (1982). "Coherence in the zooplankton component of the marine ecosystem off the northeast coast of the United States." ICES C.M.1982/L:51; MARMAP Contribution MED/NEFC 82-56.
5. Sherman, K., J. R. Green, et al. (1983). "Coherence in zooplankton of a large northwest Atlantic ecosystem; MARMAP Contribution MED/NEFC 82-68." Fishery Bulletin, U.S. 81(4): 855-862.
6. Sherman, K., R. Lasker, et al. (1983). "Ichthyoplankton and fish recruitment studies in large marine ecosystems; MARMAP Contribution MED/NEFC 82-75." Marine Fisheries Review 45(10-12): 1-25.
7. Sherman, K., W. Smith, et al. (1984). "Spawning strategies of fishes in relation to circulation, phytoplankton production, and pulses in zooplankton off the northeastern United States." Marine Ecology Progress Series 18: 1-19.
8. Sherman, K., W. G. Smith, et al. (1987). Zooplankton production and the fisheries of the northeastern shelf. Georges Bank. Cambridge, MA, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press. 593p.
9. Sherman, K. (1991). "The large marine ecosystem concept: A research and management strategy for living marine resources." Ecological Applications 1(4): 349-360.
10. Sherman, K. and T. L. Laughlin (1992). Large Marine Ecosystems Monitoring Workshop Report: 13-14 July 1991, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. NOAA Tech. Mem. NMFS-F/NEC-93. Woods Hole, MA, Department of Commerce.
11. Sherman, K. and T. Laughlin (1992). Report of the ad hoc Committee on Large Marine Ecosystems meeting. March 22-23, 1991. UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, France, NOAA Tech. Mem. NMFS-F/NEC-92 (publ 7/93).
12. Sherman, K., H. R. Skjoldal, et al. (1992). "Global ocean monitoring strategy." Nature 359(29 October 1992): 769.
13. Sherman, K. (1993). Emerging Theoretical Basis for Monitoring the changing States (Health) of Large Marine Ecosystems: Summary Report of Two Workshops: 23 April 1992, National Marine Fisheries Service, Narragansett, Rhode Island, and 11-12 July 1992, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York; NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-F/NEC-100. 27p.
14. Sherman, K. (1994). "Sustainability, biomass yields and health of coastal ecosystems: An ecological perspective." Marine Ecology Progress Series 112: 277-301.
15. Sherman, K. (1995). "Achieving regional cooperation in the management of marine ecosystems: The use of the large marine ecosystem approach." Ocean and Coastal Management 29(1-3): 165-185.
16. Sherman, K. and A. Solow (1996). Modular strategies for assessing the changing states of large marine ecosystems. ICES C.M. 1996/P:2, 20p.
17. Solow, A. R. and K. Sherman (1997). "Testing for stability in a predator-prey system." Ecology 78(8): 2624-2627.
18. Sherman, K., A. Solow, et al. (1998). "Biodiversity and abundance of the zooplankton of the Northeast Shelf ecosystem." ICES Journal of Marine Science 55: 730-738.
19. Sherman, K. and A. Duda (1999). "An ecosystem approach to the assessment and management of coastal waters." Marine Ecology Progress Series 190: 271-287.
20. Sherman, K. and A. M. Duda (2001). "Toward ecosystem-based recovery of marine biomass yield." Ambio 30(3): 168-169.
21. Duda, A. M. and K. Sherman (2002). "A new imperative for improving management of large marine ecosystems." Ocean and Coastal Management 45(2002): 797-833.
22. Sherman, K., T. Ajayi, et al. (2003). "Suitability of the Large Marine Ecosystem concept." Fisheries Research 64(197-204).
23. Sherman, K., M. Sissenwine, et al. (2005). "A global movement toward an ecosystem approach to marine resources management." Marine Ecology Progress Series 300(Theme Section: Politics and socio-economics of ecosystem-based management of marine resources): 275-279.
24. Sherman, K., I. Belkin, et al. (2009). "Accelerated warming and emergent trends in fisheries biomass yields of the world's large marine ecosystems." Ambio 38(4): 215-224.
25. Sherman, K., J. O'Reilly, et al. (2011). "The application of satellite remote sensing for assessing productivity in relation to fisheries yields of the world's large marine ecosystems." ICES Journal of Marine Science 68(4): 667-676.
26. Sherman, K., I. Belkin, et al. (2013). "Changing states of North Atlantic large marine ecosystems." Environmental Development 7: 46-58.
27. Sherman, K. (2014). "Adaptive management institutions at the regional level: The case of Large Marine Ecosystems." Ocean & Coastal Management 90(March): 38-49.
28. Sherman, K. (2014). "Toward ecosystem-based management (EBM) of the world's large marine ecosystems during climate change." Environmental Development 11: 43-66.